Tuesday, May 5

Food??

Okay - here goes....My English instructor has had us reading many essays and articles on...

** environment & industrialization
** ecology
** fast food vs 'slow food' (never heard of that!? - me neither!)(decades old!)
** The Transition Movement (started in England decades ago)
** Permaculture (Tim added this one- started in Australia decades ago)
** CSA's (thanks Lynnette and Melissa)
** Oil, gas, coal depletion
** Wind, solar, hydro and nuclear power options
** Suburbia (taking last of the good farm lands)
etc etc

I'm interested; I'm reading and studying; the Stake has us planting (for food and family-time)

All of these things are pointing towards Americans taking a careful look at the food we eat, where it comes from, whether or not it's actually healthy, how we eat (and how much!) - who tells us how , when and how much we should eat (government?)...as a country and as a culture, we WILL have to learn how to grow our own food, cook our own food and we WILL have less of it -- and all that's a good thing!

Anyway, my interest is peaked - I'll keep you posted :^)

2 comments:

nAnnie Laurie said...

No! I'm not going to become a 'tree-hugger' or 'go green' ;-) But this is interesting and it's timely and worth taking more than a 2nd look at.

Olivia Heilmann said...

...i think it is very cool and conscientious of you!