Wednesday, November 7

Rainy Season, news and pictures -- an update :)


Finding wild monkeys on an outing.

Where am I :) hehe

My first Halloween ;) so cute :-)

Papa had to wear monkeys for his Birthday

That means it's 'cooler' -- if 85' in November seems cooler to you :~) haha! no, but really, the daily and nightly rains do cool things down..............but it also means that there's much more moisture in the air! and my poor, old aircons can't take it. I have 6 aircons in 5 rooms, and right now 2 of them leak excess water constantly.......so I have to put buckets and towels under them to catch the water. I do need to call my aircon guys for service, but I'm so used to just putting up the pots, that I forget ;-). It's just part of living on the Equator in an old building :~)

It's really sad here, too. They are tearing down all (well, not all, but you understand it is MANY!) the old smaller but beautiful buildings to make room for all-new and ugly high rises - they WANT to have 2.5 million more people to move to Singapore (mind you, this country is only 12 x 24 miles and there's already more than 4 million people here - phew!) The problem with all this is 2-fold -- the people that lived in these now torn down buildings had to move, obviously ;( and there's really no where for them to go - lots of them were older retirees - not many new buildings are up yet and it's too expensive for most of them. And the owners of each individual flat (apartment) have raised the rents 50-150% - ours went up 50% - from $3000/mo to $4500/mo. I know this sounds crazy, and it is, but we live on a centrally located area, and we have a CHEAP cheap cheap rent for the street. Most are $8000 and above!! The government has finally seen it necessary to put a stop to the gouging of prices, but it's too little too late, I think. It's awful.

In the meantime, housing and particularly house SELLING in the USA has bottomed out at an all-time low in more than 16 years. So we need to do the work to upgrade our home (electiric and plumbing need serious work), refinance before July 2008 (we're on an ARM - ouch!) and then, possibly sell it - depending on where Bryan can find work when we return.

Evoly is getting soooooooo big - 15 lbs now !! She's 3 months old. She can hold her head up really steady now, and push herself up on her elbows when she is on her tummy. She laughs alot and is in 'love' with a Japanese Crane wall hanging I have. Sarah has put it down in Evoly's baby book that these birds are her 'first friend' . I will give them to her so she understands about that in later life :~) It's really cute - when she is crying and upset, all she has to do is "see" the birds on the wall, and she smiles and coos - so funny! I don't know what she likes about them - they are pretty realistic looking - not 'cartoony', but they are pretty - the black & white cranes with the bright red head crowns.

I'll post some current pictures soon - I'm on my laptop and all the pictures are on the desk top -- my computer is so new, that some older cameras don't download to Vista! What a pain! Anyway, 'see' you all soon -- comments, emails, and IM's are always welcome :~) ta ta


2 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

YEAH! That is all cool news. Let us know what you would like us to do to get the house more ready. In the meantime I am re-boxing my things in plastic bins for easier storage and accessibility and de-cluttering my stuff. Soon I will be helping Mina and Michael by putting some of their stuff on Craig's list so that what is left of her things is just what they want to keep. It is a fun project. Great to see a new post! Check out my new ticker!!

Emily Marie said...

I am glad you had some time to update! It is fun to hear what is going on. We really miss Singapore, but aren't sure if it is that we miss being with Nana and Papa or if it is actually Singapore, I think it is both!! I wish we could come back! That is great about Evoly, maybe it is because they are colors that she can see and the shapes please her!:) Ok well look forward to pics!